Re: Running apt*, help needed

(Sorry, went to the wrong place!)
Bob Proulx wrote the following on 12/06/2011 04:38 PM:
Dennis Wicks wrote:
All info was given in previous posts. To reiterate, Debian 5.0,
intel 32 bit 2 machines, identical, one works, one doesn't, gets
segmentation faults and/or relocation error on every command.
Mounted "bad" root on "good" machine, tried to do dpkg -i to install
libraries for apt but get segmentation fault. What next??

Mike Bird is having email blockage.  He will be able to read your
reply but is not able to post at this time.  He asked me to pass this
information along to you concerning your problem.

  Subject: Re: Running apt*, help needed
  Date: Tue December 6 2011, 13:09:49
  From: Mike Bird <mgb-debian@yosemite.net>
  To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

  On Sun December 4 2011 17:13:38 Dennis Wicks wrote:
  > Is there any way to run apt or dpkg, etc. so I can install
  > programs/pkgs on a different system than I am running on?
  >
  > I can't run anything on the other system right now, but I
  > can mount the disks on a machine that is running OK.

  You might have better luck with "dpkg --root=..." (see man dpkg)
  rather than chroot.

  --Mike Bird

I think it is a really good suggestion!  You should definitely try it.
It is better than my suggestion.

Bob

Greetings;

I really appreciate all the help, each new response seems to
get me a little further, but then there is another brick
wall that I can't figure out how to get past.

When I use the "dpkg --root=..." option it doesn't seg
fault, but it can't write on "bad root" to create the lock
file. And some experimentation confirms that the "good
machine" can't write anything on the "bad root". I don't
know if I can fix this at all, because when I try anything
on the broken system that uses a program that isn't already
running I get a seg fault!

If anybody has any further suggestions I would be more than
happy to hear them and give them a try!

Many Thanks!
Dennis