Re: ddclient not working

Camaleón wrote:
On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 07:34:01 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

I use ddclient to update the IP of my server in dyndns, but it doesn't
work: the IP does not get set. It has been working for years.

I have to go manually into dyndns and set the IP and the one that it has
is stale.

All I see is:
hugo@HDBB:~$ ps ax | grep -i ddclient
  1792 ?        S      0:00 ddclient - sleeping for 50 seconds

There are no ddclient messages in syslog.

ii  ddclient                  3.8.0-11.3                address updating
utility for dynamic DNS services

How does one debug this?

I've never used this application before, but you can try what ddclient web page says ("Documentation" section)¹ and launch it in debug+verbose mode:

***
ddclient -daemon=0 -debug -verbose -noquiet
***

¹http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ddclient

Instead I started looking for when it worked correctly and what the ddclient.config was at that moment. Then I copied that .config over and that made it work correctly.

Which brings up an interesting question: what are the answers you have to give to dpkg-reconfigure in order to end up with a desired ddclient.config? I.e. I know the .config I want but I don't know how to get that through dpkg-reconfigure.

The desirec ddclient.config is:

protocol=dyndns2
use=web, web=checkip.dyndns.com, web-skip='IP Address'
server=members.dyndns.org
login=xxxxxxxxx
password='yyyyyy'
esquipulas-index.dyndns.org

But I don't know how to get there with dpkg-reconfigure.

In the meantime I have changed the ddclient script in /etc/init.d to have -verbose in the OPTIONS. But I may have to add the other 2 that you mentioned.

Hugo