Re: Wheezy X broken ?

On 2011-12-06 10:50 +0100, Shaun wrote:

> On 05/12/2011 22:25, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> For gnome-shell you need a 3D OpenGL driver, and in wheezy the nouveau
>> 3D drivers are not installed by default yet.  This has been changed¹ in
>> unstable already, however.
>
> Is there a way to test this?

$ glxinfo | grep render

It should print something like

direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NV86

This is for my GeForce 8500 GT, the exact number after "NV" in the
second line is different from card to card¹.

> Is glxgears enough to tell if a suitable 3D
> OpenGL driver is loaded?

No, but the above glxinfo command should tell.

> Just want a quick way to find out if my system
> is "gnome-shell ready" :)

You will need libgl1-mesa-dri 7.11.1-1 from unstable, it should install
fine on wheezy.  Or wait a few more days for it to migrate² to testing.

Cheers,
       Sven

¹ http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames
² http://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?package=mesa