Re: Unable to boot Debian 6

On 12/06/2011 09:23 AM, Bob Proulx wrote:
Bret Busby wrote:
I downloaded a copy of the Debian 6.0.3 amd64 CD1 iso, to install it
on a computer
Using CD1 is a good choice.

on which I had thought that I had been unable to instal Debian 6.
What problems are you having trying to install it?

When I booted the computer, to go into Ubuntu 10.04, to reboot with
the CD,
What?  You need to boot Ubuntu in order to boot from the cdrom??

I found that the GRUB menu included an installation of
Debian 6.

The computer came with MS Windows 7 (? - the latest current version)
Pro 64 bit, and I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on it, then apparently
managed to instal Debian 6.0.1, or, part of it.
[...then later...]
I am the only person who accesses the computer, but I had previously
had the impression that my previous attempts to instal Debian 6, had
been unsuccessful. It is possible that I had accomplished a partial
installation. My memory of some things, is not as good as I would
like.
Since you are the only one who does things with that system and you
don't remember a *successful* installation, then very likely the one
you are finding now was not successfully installed.  So the fact that
you can't boot it fully does not sound surprising.  It may only be a
partial installation and therefore incomplete.  And from what you said
that matches your memory.

So, I tried to boot it, and it went through the boot sequence until
the following lines, at which point the boot sequence stopped.
<computer name>  login: [11.794285] tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100Mbps,
full duplex.
[ 11.795448] tg3: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and for RX.
[ 11.797364] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

and then it just sits there, and looks silly.
Please advise.
Since you don't remember I would be inclined to try to install Debian
fresh from the CD.  You will either be successful or you will have
failures that are then current failures.

Bob

In case its a video card issue like I had you could always try passing nomodeset to the boot command line. Push e to get to the boot commands, make sure to press it on the Kernel & OS you want.