Squeeze on Acer Aspire 5250, won't transfer files

Hi, Folks --

I'd been asked to attach Xorg.0.log for another problem and ran into this
one.  This Acer Aspire 5250 with Squeeze AMD64 sends only a small portion
of a file, and then the connection locks up, goes dormant.  This happened
multiple times as I tried to send the log file as an attachment to two
different netmail locations, also happened when I tried to send by way of
copy-and-paste into the body of the netmail e-mail.  Similar result when
I tried to scp the file to myself on my local (home) network -- 32k was
transferred and then "nothing further", scp just hanging, waiting.

What do you think -- packet loss? port blocking?  funky network interface
in the laptop (though, it worked well enough during netinstall)...?

Thanks,

--

 -- Jeff --   <http://www.wellnow.com>

 "There's nothing left in the world to prove.  All that's worth doing
  is to love one another, using whatever means are available to serve."