Re: Reboot and all I get is a grub prompt [SOLVED]

Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

> On Mon 05 Dec 2011 at 09:13:39 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> For future reference... how does one bring a hybernated computer out of
>> hybernation gracefully.  And more important how does one disable
>> hybernation entirely.
>
> GMOME? KDE? XFCE4? None of these?

If you are asking which one here... its kde.

But there was nothing whatsoever on the screen, nor any lights on at
the on/off button on the face of the computer.

after the initial activities inside a chroot, then reboot, but dropped
into a root prompt for repairs.  Message saying an fsck was required
but had failed.  fsck.ext4 /dev/ROOT.  Many errors fixed. reboot
again.

Goes thru boot sequence, coming up on a kde login, after login, it
comes up on a dialog like one sees on a locked screen.

So after all that huffing and puffing, I see a dialog like a locked
screen, which had been disabled long ago in screensaver dialog.

That was my first real clue that something besides reboot troubles
were going on.