Launch default application from file in command line.

Hello there,

Is it possible to launch a default application with a file from the command line, e.g. something like:

./myfile.pdf

which would retrieve the default PDF viewer and launch it on "myfile"?

For the moment, I have a bash script called with "launch <argument>", which analyzes the extension of <argument> and calls the program; e.g. "launch myfile.pdf" spots "pdf" and calls "evince myfile.pdf". The problem is that it won't follow automatically if I decide to change my default PDF viewer or in case I create a new file/program association (unless I make the script read some configuration file somewhere, I suppose).

Any idea?

Best,
Paul