Re: Booting into DOS

On Thu 01 Dec 2011 at 12:13:20 -0500, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:

> Sorry for the delay.
>
> I apologize for the length of this, but here are the two files you requested.

Thanks. No need for an apology - seeing the file is essential.

But I will snip a good deal of it!

> ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
> # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
> # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
> # the 'exec tail' line above.
> menuentry "DOS (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" {
>         insmod part_msdos
>         insmod fat
>         set root='(hd0,0)'
>         search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 351B-1CE1
>         chainloader +1
> }

Try replacing '--set' with '--set=root' in /etc/grub.d/40_custom and
then run 'update-grub'. Reboot.

Incidentally, I'm not struck with the 10_linux section and wonder why
you have

   set root='(/dev/sda,msdos2)'

in it. We'd normally expect something like

   set root='(hd0,msdos2)'

But it's not too important because GRUB boots from the 'search' line and
doesn't act on the 'set root= ...' line.

Also, this section appears to have multiple identical entries. Perhaps
'update-grub' will sort it out.