Re: Passwordless root shell is offered when boot problem occurs.

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 23:49:00 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:
>
>>> Once mount error occurs while OS booting, I get root shell - w/o even
>>> asking for password...
>>
>>You mean "Busybox"? :-?
>
> I do not know - it appears when something wrong during boot process.

It should be printed out, something like:

***
BusyBox v1.10.2 (Debian x-x-x-x) Built-in shell (xxx)
***

If that's what you get it cames out when there is a problem when booting,
for instance, a missing kernel module for the hard disk controller, a bad
hard disk identifier at GRUB's menu file, etc. So instead having you no
option at all and display a black screen (because the system is halted),
we are presented with the BusyBox.

>>> How I can change the behavior (to ask for password before granting
>>> root shell)?
>>
>>If you refer to busybox, AFAIK is not a pure root's shell but a self-
>>contained, separated and limited environment to run some diagnostic
>>tools within your machine so you can easily recover the system when
>>something is broken.
>
> That's good, but how I can provide password prompting? I remember in
> past times there was a prompt for Ctrl-d to press and type root's
> password.

I think that's a different thing :-?

For example, when you go fall into "init 1" you are prompted with root's
password to get into the maintenance console or continue by pressing Ctrl
+D, so here you are indeed asked for root's password because you are
inside the full shell and not inside the limited BusyBox environment.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón