Re: Laptop Not Resuming From Hibernation

Colin Lancaster, 28.11.2011:
> Hello,
>
> I recently installed Debian 6.0.3 (squeeze) on my Acer Aspire 5735 laptop and
> I'm having problems resuming after hibernation.
>
> Hibernation seems to succeed; the computer takes some time and shuts
> off. Then, when I press the power to resume, the power turns on and
> the hard drive light is active - but then it stops and turns off.

Do you see anything on your screen?

>From my experience using hibernation in the past, the way resuming works
is, you turn the computer on and it starts up like normal, goes to the
grub screen, you choose the appropriate kernel (usually automatically),
then the boot messages start and after a little bit it will notice
there's a resume image and continue from that.  Are you seeing anything
like this at all?  If not, it seems pretty strange.

(And just to be clear: you're hibernating, not sleeping, right?  In the
latter, there's usually a blinking power light on.  When you wake the
machine up, it should go back up very quickly.  Though when it's not
working right, it might just reboot instead, or possibly even turn off
after not being able to wake up properly.  Similar to what you're seeing.)

> If I remove my laptop from AC (and remove the battery), and then go
> back on AC, it will start up (but not in the same state prior to
> hibernation).

I've had problems where it just boots up normally after hibernation, not
recognizing the resume image, booting up to a clean state.  But your
problem seems different, so far.