Re: wheezy / gnome3

It looks prettier than mine, indeed...

Pablo
On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 14:12:02 +0000, Richard wrote:

On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 12:51:30 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón<noelamac@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 11:42:44 +0100, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
(...)

Still holding back the upgrade and quite unsure on how to proceed.
Resistance is futile and you will be assimilated... The upgrade came
along with several new packages that were pulled and also lots of
updates ;-(

Just maybe the maintainers might just tweak it a bit, its a pain not
being able right click on a menu item to add it to either the desktop or
panel. It ignores the settings for auto login.
Well, I have finally managed to leave gnome-shell at a mostly usable
stage for my netbook.

Wow... it took me an hour: installed gnome-tweak-tools and did some basic
customizations for the environment (restore gnome desktop and min/max
buttons, adjusted the font face/size for applications...) and finally the
last big step, manually edited "/usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/gnome-
shell.css" (hint: before modifying this file it is recommended to make a
copy of the original one, because any error in this CSS will render gnome-
shell unable to load, although fallback mode is still able to start).

After editing the CSS file, to apply the changes, Alt+F2 (to run a
command) and type "r", this will reload the shell.

After that, I made a copy of the modified CSS file just in case an update
destroys my working hour and finally now I feel *much much much*
better :-)

I still have to make some adjustments, such as removing that blurry
shadow that is projected around every window, remove a second shadow
which is visible for the text label of the desktop icons and remove the
accessibility icon from the top bar.

In the end not that bad as it seemed but heck, until there is a tool to
properly manage these settings from a more suitable place, it's very
annoying to manually customize the UI.

A couple of snapshots with the result:

Activities
http://picpaste.com/Pantallazo-sXQRcCfZ.png