Re: Disk performance deteriated to unbearable levels

Bob Proulx wrote:
Miles Fidelman wrote:
try smartctl -A /dev/sda

that will give you a much longer list of statistics collected by the drive

the one I always look at first is the absolute value of "raw read
errors" - if that's higher than 0, the drive is starting to fail,
and its internal code is spending more and more time trying to read
and re-read data off the media
Excellent information!
Thanks!

What's really weird is that none of the basic system monitoring tools, at least the ones I've encountered, monitor or alert on raw read error - including the basic SMART monitoring tools.

After learning about this the hard way, I always build a new box with a cron job that simply runs the command daily, and emails me the result.

Miles