Re: Crazy (?) idea: screen locker with simpler password

>> On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 23:40:24 -0700,
>> Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> said:

B> I would create a script that edited the /etc/shadow file directly and
B> manipulated the encrypted passwords.  Then the clear text would never
B> need to exist in any form.  Only the encrypted form of the password is
B> needed.  Use a script to swap between two different encrypted forms.

   If you don't add or delete a lot of accounts or modify /etc/passwd
   frequently, could you change your password to the high-security one,
   copy /etc/shadow to /etc/shadow.hi, then change it back and copy
   /etc/shadow to /etc/shadow.lo?  Then your password-changer could be:

     alias hisec='sudo cp -p /etc/shadow.hi /etc/shadow'
     alias losec='sudo cp -p /etc/shadow.lo /etc/shadow'

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company

It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
                                        --item for a lull in conversation