switched from Ubuntu 10.04 to Debian "Squeeze". Now laptop is making noises, videos lag more, etc.

Hello all,

I just recently switch my eMachines e725 laptop over from Ubuntu 10.04 to Debian "Squeeze" for stability purposes, but now I am experience slower responses opening programs, webpages, and watching videos. It seems to freeze for a second or two every now and then, then pick up just fine. I am wondering if this could be a video driver issue?
lspci tells me I have a Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

Do you think I need to update the driver or something?

Also, my computer has never made systems "beeps" before and every now and then (I'd say 2-3 times a day.) My computer will beep for some unknown reason while I am working. I can also hear the components of my laptop working more than I used to. Like every now and then the HDD makes a "skidding" noise, similar to a cd in a drive.

I don't know much about linux yet so if there is more information necessary to determine the problem, please let me know how to provide that!

Thanks!