Re: Network Connection issue

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Geoff Simmons <gsimmons@gsimmons.org> wrote:
Hi John,

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 02:55:51PM -0500, John Foster wrote:
> I recently installed a new D-Link DGE-530T 10/100/1000 Gigabit Desktop PCI
> Adapter card to connect to the internet. It was originally not recognized
> as there was not a driver available in debian.

Support for the DGE-530T revision C1 (Realtek RTL8169 based, PCI ID
1186:4302) was added to the in-tree r8169 driver at Linux 3.0.2.  This was
incorporated in Debian's linux-2.6 as of version 2.6.32-36 (part of the
6.0.3 point release).

Firmware from userspace is not required for use of this device.

> I had also installed another 'recognized' 3-com card, just to get the
> system to work.
[...]
> Debian did find the new card & set it up as eth1 while the 3-com card
> which worked was at eth0.
[...]
> I decided to try to get my system to use the new card today so I went into
> the box & removed the 3-com card, leaving only the D-Link card connected.
> Well, I was back where I started. Now my system will not connect to the
> network, & the router that supplies the connection will not see the card.

Your network configuration likely requires adjustment.  Through udev, Debian
systems use persistent names for network interfaces; your DGE-530T device
will still be assigned eth1 even when the 3Com card is physically removed.

The output of "ifconfig -a" (as requested by Victor Nitu) would have been
useful to confirm the current interface assignment.

You can either:

 * Modify /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to assign eth0 to your
   DGE-530T device (e.g. NAME="eth0").  The relevant line to adjust should
   be present under a comment such as '# PCI device 0x1186:0x4302 (r8169)'.

   After modification, save the file and reload the r8169 module using the
   command "modprobe -r r8169 ; modprobe r8169" (alternatively, execute
   "udevadm trigger").  Run "ifconfig -a" to confirm interface assignment.

 * Amend your system's network configuration (/etc/network/interfaces) to
   use eth1 instead of eth0, then bring the interface up using "ifup eth1".

   The interfaces(5) manual page describes this file's format (execute "man
   interfaces" to view this), see also other information available at [1].

   Note that other application configuration files (e.g. iptables based
   firewall) may require to be similarly updated.

On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 08:49:56AM -0500, John Foster wrote:
> It seems the correct driver is being loaded & I changed the etc/network
> interfaces to this now. It is the factory setup for a single card.
[...]
> -----------------------------------
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface lo inet loopback

This is incorrect, as two iface stanzas are stated for loopback.  It should
contain a line for the eth* network interface (e.g. "iface eth0 inet dhcp").

Geoff

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
Ha!!
 Thanks Geoff. You really hit this out of the park. I,m now up & running with a new learning experience under my belt & a MUCH faster network.
Again Thanks & thanks to all of you who assisted especially Victor.
frosty