boot problems (I think)

Hi,

A system at a remote site cannot be reached via ssh and is not reacting to a
ping after a reboot. This system has been rebooted in the past and had no
problems booting.
I will be going over there later this evening to find out what has gone
wrong.

The system is a HP server with iLo and a standard iLo license. So I can
remote shut the system of, give it cold boot, stuff like that, but I cannot
look at the screen. :-(
Unfortunately a cold boot did not help.

I assume some update in the past may have been the cause, maybe something
related to the GRUB2 installation. I remember there being an update a while
ago and I'm not sure I applied it to the proper partition as initially I
applied it to all suggested partitions when I upgraded from Lenny. After the
upgrade the system has been rebooted several times using Grub2 so initially
this has not been a problem.

If Grub2 is the case... how do I solve it?
I'm downloading the Debian DVD1 image so I can boot with it.
After that what do I do? The disk in the server is a logical disk form a
RAID1 array and shows up in Debian as a disk named c0d0. I have several
partitions for /boot, /, /usr, /var and swap.
Do I do a chroot /dev/cciss/c0d0p5 when the p5 partition is originally the /
partition? What do I do after that?

Of course I won't know if Grub2 is the problem, not until I'm there looking
a the screen, but just in case I'd like to get this thread going to get some
relevant answers in case I need them.

Bonno Bloksma
senior systeembeheerder

tio