Re: Hi, how to control the speed of fan?

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 23:11:33 +0800, shiyao ma wrote:

(please, keep your message at the bottom and avoid html)

> On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 10:31 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 22:14:06 +0800, shiyao ma wrote:
>>
>> > Oh, it is such a coincidence.
>> > My nick name is Introom, and the post :
>> > https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=117784 was posted by me
>> > month ago.
>>
>> And what was the result of the suggested tips? Did you try any of them?
>> Because they're still valid even though you are now running Debian :-)

> I tried echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile and the fan
> began to stop from time to time, however, it comes along with a terrific
> bad side:
> see the result of debug:
> root@Eddie-Laptop:/home/eddie# cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/radeon_pm_info
> default engine clock: 675000 kHz
> current engine clock: 156990 kHz
> default memory clock: 800000 kHz
> current memory clock: 199960 kHz
> voltage: 900 mV
> PCIE lanes: 16

Are those values bad/wrong? They look a bit high, maybe is that you card is
not capable of running/applying those power savings profiles? :-?

Anyway, you have more info on how to tweak the power settings of the ATI card
(when using KMS and radeon driver) here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI

If one method does not work, try with another until you find one that likes you,
but also keep and eye on the temperatute of your notebook.

> Now. I am waiting for the catalyst coming out. Plus, I have already
> install radeon. How can I totally uninstall it , and install catalyst
> without conflicts?

Playing with vga drivers is always risky and the first step for problems to arise.
You will have to evaluate your current situation, if you can afford having the fan
always on then consider trying the ATI drivers.

If you compile upstream drivers, just ensure to disable KMS, maybe that's enough
and you won't need to remove radeon driver at all. If you use Debian stock ATI
closed drivers, they will take care of disabling KMS for you.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón