Re: Hi, how to control the speed of fan?

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 19:41:58 +0800, shiyao ma wrote:

(please, keep the posts that share the same subject in the same thread)

> I searched on the Net, and according to the Wiki of arch, I should first
> install lm_sensors. Then, I ran sensors-detect. After doing that, I ran
> sensors, and got the following output:
> acpitz-virtual-0
> Adapter: Virtual device
> temp1:        +26.8°C  (crit = +88.0°C)
>
> radeon-pci-0100
> Adapter: PCI adapter
> temp1:        +54.5°C
>
> coretemp-isa-0000
> Adapter: ISA adapter
> Core 0:       +46.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +90.0°C)
> Core 2:       +40.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +90.0°C)
>
> As you can see, the result is not complete.

According to that wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fan_Speed_Control

***
If your output does not display an RPM value for your CPU fan, and you
are positive it is running, you need to increase the fan divisor. If your
fan speed is shown and higher than 0, skip the next step.
***

> My laptop is dell studio 1458, and the cpu is i3. I am supposed to
> modify the sensors.conf to add something so as to make sensors show the
> rpm of my fan. But the problem is I don't know my chip's name. I guess
> my chip's name should be coretemp, but there is no coretemp in the conf.

I would also look at lm-sensors documentation:

http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Documentation

> My final purpose is to control down the fan, and I am in wheezy. What
> should I do?

There is also good feedback in this forum post:

Greetings,

--
Camaleón