Re: KDE package manager

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 03:07:16PM -0400, Doug wrote:
> Of course Synaptic requires root permission.  If you're not root,
> you should not be allowed to install packages! Aren't you the owner
> of the
> Debian installation?  If so, you surely have a root password.

Personally, I like aptitude's ability to only require root access when
necessary. Aptitude is perfectly happy for a normal user to start the
application and browse the package lists, even to select items for
installation/removal etc. It's only when you press 'g' (I am of course
talking about the NCurses UI here) that it says "You aren't root. Would
you like to be now?" and then performs the actions.

I suppose it depends on how you treat your users. I can certainly see
this being a design decision. Do you really WANT users seeing what
packages are installed, which ones are available and, perhaps, which
ones are out of date? Or do you allow them to see whatever they like
secure in the knowledge that only super users can do anything about it?

Swings and roundabounds.

--
Darac Marjal