Re: creaing new 3.0.4 kernel in squeeze --kernel panic

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 10:25:04 -0400 (EDT), Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> I would recommend using something like "make localmodconfig" to strip
>> out drivers your hardware doesn't need.  There are many hidden
>> dependencies, such as SCSI support, that are not obvious.
> That will definitely give you a bootable kernel but with the stock
> Debian config, which is huge and gives you way more than you really need.
> IMO to get just the right kernel config is very tricky because it is an
> trial and error thing. What would be handy is an IDE that records what
> change you made and for what reason, so that it can be removed when your
> hardware changes.

Perhaps you're thinking of "make oldconfig" or some other configuration
target.  "make localmodconfig" will definitely strip out modules that
are not in use by the current hardware.  There may be a few things that
are built-in to the kernel that could be eliminated, but most stuff
that is hardware-related is in a module by default, and "make localmodconfig"
will get you 99% of the way (or better) toward the minimal kernel
configuration for the current hardware.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :