Re: squeeze on desktop with Atheros wifi - not accessing wifi

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 16:20:02 +0100, Camaleón wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 11:39:15 +0000, Sian Mountbatten wrote:
>
>> I have installed Debian squeeze on /dev/sda1, but the kernel does not
>> pick up the Atheros wlan0 wifi card.
>
> What you mean by "pick up"?
It does not recognise the card. I used to use madwifi on my
Lenny system.

> That the card not detected by the system ("lspci" or "lsusb" will tell)
> or that is not configured (see below)?
lspci gives
03:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212/AR5213
Multiprotocol MAC/baseband processor (rev 01)

>> Ubuntu 11.10 with a 3.0.0-12-generic kernel picks up the wifi,
>> identifies the default wifi network, asks for a password and then it
>> opens the wifi network.
>>
> Squeeze does not ships a kernel with closed firmware blob¹. If you card
> needs such file (the firmware) you will have to download manually.

> "dmesg" will tell you more about the wifi card issue.
dmesg gives
 ath5k phy0: Atheros AR2414 chip found (MAC: 0x79, PHY: 0x45)
[
> OTOH, Squeeze has an additional hitch with wifi devices: they are
> unmanaged by NM when the adapter is listed in "/etc/network/interfaces"
> with the default config setup, so this is another thing to check².
/etc/interfaces contains
----------------------------------
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
        address 192.168.11.6
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.11.0
        broadcast 192.168.11.255
        gateway 192.168.11.1
        # wireless-* options are implemented by the wireless-tools package
        wireless-mode managed
        wireless-essid PC_Area
        wireless-key1 s:pclandia
        # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
installed
        dns-nameservers 192.168.11.1

--
Sian