Re: creaing new 3.0.4 kernel in squeeze --kernel panic

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:56:46 -0700 (PDT), poenikatu@operamail.com wrote
in message
<6a9c6581-5fbb-4848-9d92-81bf0dbcef36@j36g2000prh.googlegroups.com>:

> On Oct 31, 7:20 pm, "poenik...@operamail.com"
> <poenik...@operamail.com> wrote:
> > On Oct 31, 12:40 am, Stephen Powell <zlinux...@wowway.com> wrote:
> > > Also, I recommend that you read
> >
> > >    http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm
> >
> > > for a fairly comprehensive tutorial on kernel building in Debian
> > > which documents many common "gotchas" in kernel building.  For
> > > example, there is a patch to kernel-package which is needed in
> > > some circumstances when building a version 3 kernel with
> > > make-kpkg.  The patch is documented on the above web page.  And,
> > > depending on which boot loader you use, you may need to install
> > > some hook scripts when using a custom kernel with Squeeze and
> > > later releases.  This is also documented on the above web page.
> >
> > > --
> > >   .''`.     Stephen Powell
> > >  : :'  :
> > >  `. `'`
> >
> > I followed the instructions given in Kernel.htm and built a kernel
> > from the source tree I had
> > downloaded fromwww.kernel.orgafter issuing make-kpkg debian. I also
> > patched kernel-package
> > using the patch file (linuxv3.diff) mentioned on the web page.
> >
> > I also used make localmodconfig to greatly reduce the number of
> > modules actually compiled.
> > Compiling the kernel took 34 mins on my 1.6GHz laptop.
> >
> > I installed the kernel using dpkg as root, checked that an initramfs
> > image had been created, closed down
> > and rebooted.
> >
> > The kernel loaded, entered runlevel 2, but commands that tried to
> > write to the fs failed because it was
> > still readonly. The kernel finally hung with nfsd. ctrl-alt-del
> > successfully rebooted. I shall recompile
> > the kernel without NFS support because I don't need it.
>
> I removed NFS stuff and recompiled the kernel. I also removed the
> packages nfs-kernel-server and
> nfs-common.
>
> After rebooting with the new kernel, it loaded, hung at points and
> eventually gave me a tty login
> prompt. I could login as sian as well as root, but the file system was
> still read-only. I suspect that
> GNOME has to be able to write to the fs so that is why I only got a
> tty prompt.
>
> Some messages emitted by the kernel when loading:
> Can't open or create /var/run/syslogd.pid
> Unknown hardware ThinkPad EC
> touch: setting times of /var/lib/sudo: Read-only file system
> What do I do next?

..remount your disk read-write.

> At least the kernel loads and gives me a prompt. I
> don't understand why the
> file system is still read-only.

..could be _anything_ from a bad disk to a kernel config bug.
My reading of your NFS "hang" is you should have patient enough
to give it time to time out, at least once. (5 or 15 minutes?)

..try set up a syslog host on your lan and point your
3.0.4 box' syslog there, and post the url to it if you
find funny errors etc things that warrants further fun.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: