Re: USB Drives will not mount

On Tue 01 Nov 2011 at 05:12:06 +0000, Paddy Tollan wrote:

> Hi I can no longer mount my usb pen drive. When I run the mount vfat -t
> /dev/sdb /mnt/pen

It is more usual to mount a partition:

   mount vfat -t /dev/sdbX /mnt/pen

>                   The commmand complains about there being a bad superblock
> on the usb drive. I run the dmesg command and get the message there is not a
> valid fat partition on /dev/sdb.

I expect the messages were quite precise. Seeing them exactly as you saw
them is never a bad thing.

> However there is a valid file system as the drive is formatted as fat32 and
> the drive is seen in windows I have tried another drive with the same result

Someone is bound to ask to see the partion table (fdisk, cfdisk) ......

> how can I fix this as it is very annoying. I have tried to reformat and
> partition the drive but this will not work

...... and ask for the commands you used which didn't work.