Re: HD Data Recovery

On 04/10/11 12:18, Robert Blair Mason Jr. wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 23:27:42 +0000 (UTC)
> Walter Hurry <walterhurry@lavabit.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 16:07:23 -0400, Robert Blair Mason Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> A few days ago one of my parents' computers stopped booting, and
>>> they don't have any external backups

<snipped>

> Apparantly my father took it to the store and they claimed it had a
> broken read/write head.  Internet claims that it requires a cleanspace
> to fix and preserve data integrity.  So I guess I'm out of it.
>
> --
> rbmj

The process is not cheap [*1] - probably around $500 AU even if
unsuccessful (the amount of platter damage is unknown, as is the actual
problem).

Alternatively you can do it yourself - swap platter into an identical
drive and image the drive.

If you want to try the latter method say so and I'll post basic
instructions (it's not hard, just fiddly).

NOTE: do it yourself and it should allow you to recover data ONLY for
use on another drive.

Cheers

[*1] I don't want the work, so please don't ask.