Re: Fwd: Billion 7800N

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 10:27:57 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> On 21 August 2011 21:20, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> But do you really need it? I mean, does your ISP require you to use a
>> PPP connection with your router? I also use a DSL connection and don't
>> need PPP for nothing.
>>

> No I don't.
> I need pppd of course, but not ppp.

Can you explain why you need pppd? :-?

>> Can you point me to somewhere on the Internet where I can see what are
>> your ISP connection settings?
>>

> I'll bring them into town and post them on the next trip, probably
> tomorrow.

This is getting very interesting, like a mystery novel :-)

>> Okay, that's what I thought. Then the same has to apply for your linux
>> box. Can you check if DHCP is enable on the windows laptop?
>>

> It's not mine. so I've given it back, but to establish a connection
> immediately, it must have been as I would have needed an IP address to
> connect.

Yes, having DHCP on is the most common nowadays. Anyway, having a static
IP would have required to manually set the gateway.

>> > Further along in the sequence, eth0 and the firmware seem to connect
>> > up, so I don't think there's a problem there.
>>
>> Anyway, you should install it.
>>

> O.K.
> I'll do that with aptitude when I get a connection.

Yep, just to discard any source of the problem.

>> In fact, the same you did in your windows box you have to do in your
>> linux box. If DHCP is enabled on windows, enable it on linux. If no
>> dialer was used in windows, do not use a dialer in linux, and so on...
>>

> Well, I'm actually getting an IP address on the Linux laptop, so DHCP
> must be active.

If your ethernet device has an IP assigned that means the router is able
to communicate with your laptop and so you should also be able to access
to the router or at least get a response from wget different than a
"timeout" :-?

> I'll post that when I get back in also, although I'm sure I've done it
> already somewhere.
> I recall my IP, the peer's IP, DNS primary and secondary, amongst other
> things, but I'll get proof positive.
> Regards and thanks,

Waiting anxiously for the feedback :-)

Greetings,