Re: wicd

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 00:02:13 -0400, Mark Grieveson wrote:
Hello.  I recently obtained a used laptop, which I fixed up.  It is
relatively good (IE, a Pentium IV) so I'm not too worried about it
being able to power the applications I'm hoping to run.  Generally, I
prefer using a less cluttered machine with minimal software.  So, I
loaded the laptop with lxde. In doing so, I made sure to install the
non-free firmware files from a usb stick.

In trying to find wireless connections, I used wicd, following the
steps at http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#Wicd. This, however, did
not work.  It simply stated that no network connections had been
found. However, I then reinstalled gnome on the laptop, and the network
software there did find various network connections (aka wifi).  So,
I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can get the same functionality
within lxde using wicd (or using something else).

Mark

I use FVWM and the wicd or just ifup wlan0 depending how I feel. I use a ralink usb dongle to connect to the wireless network. I don't connect to the wlan0 network automagically though.

My /etc/network/interfaces looks like this:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-ssid xxxxxxxx
    wpa-psk xxxxxxx

Depending where I place the laptop depends where I can connect. Both wicd and ifup wlan0 can't connect where I generally want to be and so I move the laptop to a location where it can pick up the signal, and once that's done move to where I can't pick it up cold, and it generally keeps working and stays connected all day long.

I have no idea why this happens, but maybe try it with your lappy as well. See where it will pick up the signal and then move to whee you want to work with it?

Hope that helps.
Charlie