Re: Totem slow DVD playback and bad sound

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 12:04:21 +0200, Tomas Kral wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-07-07 at 20:24 +0200, Camaleón wrote:

>> Okay, I have tested with 2 different commercial DVDs: a documentary
>> ("Powers of Ten") and a movie ("Master & Commander") and both work very
>> well providing nice picture quality, crystal clear sound and smooth DVD
>> reprodiction (no jumps nor pauses). I tested with Totem.
>>
>> But this is Wheezy so I can only confirm that here works like a charm.
>>

> (a)
> I have temporarily switched my apt-sources to testing I have upgraded
> gstreamer.*plugins.* to the version of Wheezy Surprisingly Totem is of
> the same version as in Lenny

Mmm... Totem (and totem-gstreamer) for lenny is 2.22 while for wheezy is
2.30. And gstreamer packages are also of different versions (lenny's are
older).

> Same result, video is out of sync, many video frames are dropped, audio
> is not audible or very bad.

What package versions do you have installed? :-)

> Rolled gstreamer.*plugins.* back to Squeeze
>
> (b)
> I have just built my custom Totem from sources, compiled against stable
> Debian/Squeeze libgstreamer.*-dev libs I left out some pluggins, UI is a
> bit faster.
>
> Same result, video is out of sync, many video frames are dropped, audio
> is not audible or very bad.

Did you finally test with another media player like MPlayer or VLC, for
instance?

> (c)
> I have filed a bug at GNOME Bugzilla
> Bug 654383 - No playback of DVDs in Totem Debian / Squeeze
>
> Shall I file it at Debian as well?
> If so how do I file it, never done that before.

Yes, I would have started by filling a bug at Debian's BTS. But it seems
that someone replied to GNOME's one, then better wait and see how it
goes...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón