Re: Can't run apps as root in KDE

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 12:07:25PM -0700, T Elcor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am having problems running KDE apps as root. To reproduce:
> 1. Open the KDE Menu Editor
> 2. Setup a new app item (for example, copy and paste Konqueror to Konqueror-2)
> 3. Goto the "Advanced" tab and check the "Run as a different user" checkbox
> 4. Type "root" in the username box
> 5. Save changes
> 6. Run Konqueror-2 from the KDE Kickoff Application Laucher.
>
> Konqueror-2 shows up briefly in the applicaton panel at the bottom but it doesn't run.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks

I do not know about exact reason why but...

Generally, it is bad idea to run desktop application as root.  So
application system may put some checks and prevent you to run as root.
This is due to security concern.

Why do this?  I see no reason to overcome this security measure.

Osamu

FYI:
If you are doing this for debug purpose, you can change user on console
using su or sudo under proper configuration done from root.  When
switching to root, you need to preserve environment to get connected to
X, as you might have known.