Re: Let's say you never want to upgrade from Lenny...

Dne, 05. 04. 2011 16:56:13 je Mark napisal(a):
Hypothetically if a user doesn't want to upgrade to Squeeze, what would they have to do once Lenny stops being supported by Debian? Let's assume the machines are used primarily for web surfing, including using flash. Would they need to install Firefox manually once Lenny stops getting updates for Iceweasel? What other hiccups would they encounter? If the machines run
great with Lenny then what is the reason to give a user to upgrade if
they're perfectly happy with what they have and don't want it changed?

Thanks for any ideas.
Mark

The true reasons for their reluctance to upgrade should be carefully assessed.

The leap from Lenny to Squeeze is not that big, after all. It's just like having Lenny on steroids. There are just too many goodies in Squeeze not to upgrade.

What's the big fuss? I've upgraded my better half and our two kids to Squeeze and, apart from the new boot theme/wallpaper, they never even noticed it.

Is some piece of hardware not supported anymore? Then, I'd try an alternative driver, or try to make the old driver work (perhaps by manually recompiling etc.).

Is there a particular package that's no longer supported in Squeeze? I'd compile it from source, or find an alternative.

Is the new theme the problem? Then, I'd upgrade them to Squeeze and manually install the old Lenny wallpaper.

For a particularly stubborn user, I'd just install Squeeze on a separate partition and make it the Grub default -- leaving them the freedom to boot Lenny if they so wish.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.