Re: Pump, dhchp, dns and dnsmasq

On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 04:07 +0000, T o n g wrote:
> In that case, I assume that the dnsmasq server need to be configured to
> be on a static IP, correct? Any I need to manually set up everything
> else, like route, etc, correct?

Yes, in /etc/network/interfaces I have:

  allow-hotplug eth0
  iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.2.2
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.2.1  # ip address of router

And in /etc/dnsmasq.conf I tell DHCP clients the router address to use
with:

  dhcp-option=option:router,192.168.2.1

I also added 'no-resolv' to dnsmasq.conf and set /etc/resolve.conf to

  domain home
  search home
  nameserver 127.0.0.1

this is because I manually set the upstream DNS servers' IP addresses in
dnsmasq.conf. (I believe by default dnsmasq will use nameservers found
in resolve.conf.)

I also have my LANs domainname 'home' in dnsmasq.conf

  domain=home

I believe that's my entire setup configuration explained :-)

Oh, and resolve.conf can drop common unwanted domains into a black hole,
e.g.

  address=/doubleclick.net/googlesyndication.com/127.0.0.1

--
Tixy               ()  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign (www.asciiribbon.org)
                   /\  Against HTML e-mail and proprietary attachments