Re: the new apt-get recommendation

HI,

On Sat, Feb 05, 2011 at 10:22:23AM -0500, Kete wrote:
> Hello, why have the authors of the Debian 6 release notes chosen to
> recommend apt-get?

Because it is more robust for non-interactive dist-upgrade.
 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_literal_apt_get_literal_literal_apt_cache_literal_vs_literal_aptitude_literal

This gives you situation when to use which.

> Just a few months ago, I read some other official
> documentation recommend aptitude.

Which?  Old release note?

> Why is Debian flip flopping?

In simple words:

* APT(apt-get) was the only option
* aptitude was created and was better at one point in history
* APT became better while aptitude had some annoing issues.

> Now, I have to
> learn apt's commands, and already, an apt-cache search doesn't tell me which
> packages are installed.

I do not think we requested you to lean that much detail.  You can still
use aptitude for that purpose.  release note recommendation is for
release-to-release update which is not daily packge management.

Osamu