Re: X freeze the system after upgrade

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 15:03:17 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 12:42:22 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> ... why are you loading the VESA driver? :-?
>
> Oh, I took a look and recalled that I was trying the radeon driver
> before and it cause the same lock up as this before. Switching to vesa
> was a quick cure, and I never bother looked further since:
>
>  $ grep -B1 vesa /etc/X11/xorg.conf.vesa
>         #Driver      "radeon"
>         Driver      "vesa"

You has been running with VESA all this time!? Oh...

> So I now remove the xorg.conf entirely, and let X to figure everything
> out this time.

(...)

So basically you seem having problems with KMS :-)

The first check is booting with KMS disabled, as darkestkhan suggested
(append "nomodeset" to the kernel's line of GRUB). If that works you
should investigate why KMS is failing at your side...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón