Re: USB3.0 problem: xhci_hcd not found

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 22:49:04 +0000, Krzysztof Bieniasz wrote:

>> You mean the message about a connected device when there is none
>> attached to any of the USB ports? Yep, that seems to be common:
>>
>> sm01@stt008:~$ dmesg | grep -i new | tail -5

(...)

>> Besides, the "unable to enumerate USB device on port 5" is harmless
>> unles once you connect the device an isn't working.
>
> Maybe it's harmless but it's not normal. On my old laptop there were no
> such issues. This is clearly connected with the usb 3.0 port.

I've read some reports about that same issue on common USB 2.0 host
controllers, so it hasn't to be "necessarily" a USB 3.0 problem.

> And the "new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address X" should
> only appear *once* and only after I actually connect something.

I neither have any USB device connected and got that messages at start up.

> Instead dmesg is *flooded* with them. Every couple of seconds there is
> a new message with a different address -- they go up to 127 and then on
> again from 4. They stop only after I turn ehci off. In fact they can
> make reading dmesg output very problematic if I needed it in the
> future. Clearly something is wrong here and I need to resolve it
> somehow.

Yes, not "normal" but most of the time you'll get those messages go away
after a kernel update.

If you are being annoyed enough by them, maybe you can remove those
entries by means of rsyslog filtering facilities :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón