Loss of Xfce DE functionality since testing upgrades to clutter on 12/17

Hi,

This is more a matter of general curiosity than something I'm trying
actively to fix. I would, of course, like to correct the problems, but
they are not show-stoppers for me. If the behaviors I'm reporting can be
expected to be corrected at some point by future upgrades I'm content to
wait.

If, however, I can contribute to development or bug-fixing efforts by
filing or contributing to bug reports I'd be happy to do so. It's just
that I'm clueless in this case as to the appropriate target for such a
report.

I noticed that apt-listbugs flagged the new version of clutter to which
my systems were upgraded on 12/17/2011 as "breaking" mesa. The following
bug report was mentioned.

That bug report, though, doesn't really seem to have much of anything to
do with the issues I've noticed in Xfce since that time. The issues I
see are:

1. Compositing in Xfce doesn't work properly. All windows and panels are
surrounded by large-width flat gray shadows, and transparency is broken.
With compositing turned off, everything looks normal for that state.

2. The Desktop applet in Xfce Settings Manager is unable to change the
desktop background. Instead, only the background selected by
update-alternatives is allowed. Furthermore, choosing "none" doesn't
remove that background image.

3. Right-clicking the desktop doesn't activate Xfce's menu system any
more -- but this failure is something I've seen only on some of my
testing installations, not all of them.

It may be that I don't run many or any applications or drivers that make
use of clutter and mesa in such a way as to cause the types of failures
mentioned in the bug report. I have seen the

failed to create drawable

error on occasion in a terminal when starting some Mozilla apps
(iceweasel, icedove, iceowl -- IIRC), but that's about the only obvious
thing (to me, a relative beginner in GNU/Linux) my experience shares
with the bug report.

Would anyone have general comments on this matter that might guide me to
some type of understanding? Are these issues I'm seeing connected to
that bug report?

I started to just report this to the xfce-bugs@xfce.org, xfce@xfce.org,
or pkg-xfce-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org, but thought that it obviously
involves non-xfce packages and might be peculiar to Debian testing /
unstable, so that I should try here first.

Thanks for any information you might provide.

Regards,
Gilbert