MSI N210 graphics card causes boot failure

Hello:

My nVidia GeForce 6600 GT card started to act up, so I purchased an
inexpensive MSI N210 card (which uses the 210 nVidia chipset).
The salesman said I'd be happier with it!

Sadly, after the the initial boot sequence lines of text (in regular
VGA font) appear, the screen goes blank, and the disc stops working.
It appears that the "fine print" boot messages are lost at that time.
Is it possible the card does not support alternative VGA text formats?

I should add that the keyboard, mouse and network are all dead at that
time, which suggests that the boot sequence was incomplete.

The MSI box indicates that a PCI Express or PCI Express 2.0 slot are all
that is required.  The mother board provides the former (it is an ASUS
A8N-E board purchased with the original graphics card in '06 or
so).  "lsmod" shows a "nouveau" driver being loaded with the old
card, but I doubt it gets that far with the new card.

Does anyone know why this happens, or what if any incompatibilities there
are between the current Debian release and this card?  Any suggestions
for an alternative card would also be welcome (high "gaming" performance
is not needed).

Thanks,

Dean

--