Re: Ownership of external usb hard drive

On 2011-12-31, Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Or is this a question of having it plugged in when the machine is
>> > booted?
>> >
>> It makes no difference.
>>

> I just have been bit by this bug after a recent update. The same
> external USB drive was working prior. Not sure which update did it though
> as the drive isn't used daily.

What is the nature of the bug, exactly?

Not to hijack the thread, but I've found another bug related to my
external hard drive, entered in /etc/fstab with the 'noauto' argument.

When I mount the drive to back up my home directory, I then unmount it
and unplug it from the usb port.  Later that same day, when I shut down
my machine (which I do once a day), the computer will not power down.
The shut down protocol is respected, but when it reaches the "Will now
halt" point in the procedure, rather than the machine turning itself off
electrically, I get the message: "Power down".  Now, as these new
fangled cheapie machines they're making now, one of which I bought
recently, don't have a power switch on the psu, I have to press the
power button at the front of the machine for five seconds to shut the
computer off.  No biggie, I suppose, though I do wonder whether this
stresses the components more than the usual procedure.  Or is it more or
less the same thing?

Anyway, could be a _post hoc ergo propter hoc_, but so far the
relationship "mount usb hard drive"--"no power down" has held to be
true.