bsd-mailx incompatibility?

Hi all,

Some time between lenny and squeeze (and before lucid, but I haven't
searched further), mail changed its arguments.

lenny:  -e      Don't send empty mails.  If the body is empty skip the mail.
squeeze/lucid:  -E      Don't send messages with an empty body.

.. and -e is gone.

I looked in the (upstream) changelog, and it shows the addition of the
-E flag, with no reference to -e whatsoever :-(

This is really annoying, but must have been struck by other people - and
other scripts.

Any suggestions what the best answer is for a script that needs to be
deployed on both? I'm deploying it with a locally built debian package,
so I guess I could check the version in the postinst ... or just build
different packages with different dependencies, which is probably the
most reliable, but also the most work :-(

Thanks,

Richard