Problems with sudo PATH

Hi all,

after an update of my Debian system some time ago I've encountered some problems with sudo. In particular sudo doesn't seem to recognize any commands located in /sbin or /usr/sbin. For example the command useradd is located in /usr/sbin and sudo fails:
    redwing@platon:~$ sudo useradd
    sudo: useradd: command not found
Another example is ifconfig which is located in /sbin:
    redwing@platon:~$ sudo ifconfig
    sudo: ifconfig: command not found

What could be wrong here? Can I somehow see the content of $PATH within the sudo environment? AFAIK "sudo echo $PATH" fails because $PATH is evaluated by the shell before sudo is called.

Any help on this issue would be very appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Steve