Re: workstation build -- Is btrfs viable?

Thanks all.

Between the comments on this thread and the review if Mint 12 I heard on DistroWatch Weekly this week, where the reviewer tried btrfs, I think I'll be sticking to ext4 for the time being.

--b

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 12:21:23PM -0500, Brad Alexander wrote:
> Is anyone using btrfs in day-to-day operation? I'm going to be rebuilding
> my workstation, probably this weekend, and I was wondering if it was a
> viable alternative to ext4. It appears to have a lot of useful features,
> but if it isn't stable, I'll stick with ext4.

I have been using it, and in practice it works well.  However, I
would be reluctant to trust it too much at this point.

- it still lacks a fsck tool.  If you do have a problem, there is
 no means of repairing the damage, and the chance of losing data
 is high
- it's still classed as experimental
- the performance is good for some workloads, but awful for others;
 in particular fsync is expensive, and the performance of dpkg is
 abysmal in comparison with ext3/4

Regards,
Roger

--