Re: External HDDs and sleep mode.

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 13:54:26 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Is it possible to not unmount a volume connected to host through
> USB-interface before entering sleep mode?
>
> For the present if so done - on awake, the volume is registered anew
> therefore it does not respond on the mount point.

Just thinking aloud...

Could it be that is not the hard disk what is currently unmounting but
the usb kernel module what enters into suspension and so is unloaded? If
that's the case, all of the USB devices that are already attached to the
usb ports will receive a "disconnect" order and will be reconnected again
as soon as the usb kernel module is loaded agian (on resume).

Well, that's my fool theory now I will have to prove it right or wrong :-P

I would first try to "instruct" the usbcore kernel module to do not get
suspended and see what happens when your systems comes to life.
Additional information on how to blacklist modules/hooks can be found in
the man page ("man pm-suspend") and there is also a very good explanation
on how suspension works for the USB stack at the kernel docs:

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/usb/power-management.txt

Greetings,

--
Camaleón