Re: Data privacy - deletion of messages on your webpage

Scott Ferguson wrote:
> > I would like please to delete all messages related to my name and my
> > former email address as displayed on your web
> > The deletion should be permanent and should never appear in any browser
>
> *Note that most Debian mailing lists are public forums. Any mails sent
> to them will be published in public mailing list archives and indexed by
> search engines. You should only subscribe to Debian mailing lists using
> an e-mail address that you do not mind being made public.*
>
> While it is sometimes possible to get a post deleted - it is not
> possible to delete all the mirrored version on sites like gmane. osdir,
> and others.

And there is also "The Streisand Effect" where trying to hide data has
the opposite effect of calling attention to it.  If you try to
suppress information then many people will want to know what it is
that is being suppressed even if they never cared before.

  http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StreisandEffect

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

Sometimes the best result is simply to let sleeping dogs lie.

Bob