Re: HP Touchpad Tablet Question

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 10:46:02AM +1000, Ashton Fagg wrote:
> On 23/12/11 09:38, Thomas H. George wrote:
> >I just bought an HP Touchpad Tablet. Can it be converted to be a Debian
> >computer or must I make best use of the HP operating system.
>
> Well, if this is the right piece of equipment I've found, it looks
> to be possible. Apparently you can install Ubuntu and Android, which
> means with a bit of massaging you can probably get Debian running on
> it.
>
> Here's a guide for getting Ubuntu working...
>
> http://liliputing.com/2011/08/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-an-hp-touchpad.html

I checked this out and also a link to dual boot Android.  Both look
promising but I have decided to hold off for the moment.  What I bought
was a bundle from CompUSA/TigerDirect which in addition to the 32 Bb
Touchpad Tablet included an induction linked (I think that is the right
term for it) stand which wirelessly recharges the tablet, a Bluetooth
linked keyboard, a very nice softcase which does not interfere with the
induction coupling and a Creative Labs Bluetooth linked stereo speaker.

The HP items are first class.  I don't own, have never had access to an
ipad, so I can offer no comparisons.  Of course, Apple has the HP hollow
on apps but is this true of tablet design and manufacture?  The HP
tablet with its accessories is a slick piece of work.  I'll take the
time to test its abilities before switching to dual boot.

Ultimately the choice is to dual boot to Android for the wide selection
of apps or to dual boot to Ubuntu (or to Debian if I can manage it) for
the programs I regularly use.

My original expectation in the original posting was that I would receive
several responses from Debian users who had already explored the
capabilities and limitatins of the HP Touchpad Tablet.  This has not
been the case.

End posting.  I will start a new link in the future if there is anything
worth reporting.

Tom