Re: Is there any helper module to boost cgi performance ?

J. Bakshi wrote:
> But I need to continue with cgi as svn is based on web interface and
> also viewvc is there too.

Note that viewvc can also be integrated using mod-python too.  It
doesn't require CGI.

> Regarding performance... my bad... a simple php sites takes 30 sec
> to come up and after that the browsing through that site seems
> little faster...

If you are seeing that long of a latency then the problem is not CGI
nor FastCGI.  Thirty second latencies indicate something broken on
your site only.  You will have to debug your site.

Typically a 30 second latency will be from a DNS timeout of some sort.
Sometimes installing a caching nameserver will cover up the problem
because it will cache the failure.  The first bad lookup is slow but
then subsequent bad lookups is faster.  But it is better to debug the
failure first.  And then of course install a caching dns server anyway
because that is always a good thing to have on an active web site.
But I assure you that both simple CGI and FastCGI are much faster than
what you describe.  Sub second latencies are normal.

To debug this you should set up a simple do-nothing web page that uses
FastCGI and then see what it does.  A simple do-nothing web site
should be virtually instantaneous.  If that is still showing thirty
second delays then you would know for sure that you have something in
your configuration that causing the delay.  If not then you know the
delay is in your program code.

> but still the lenny server is performing really fine than
> squeeze.

There isn't anything effectively different between Lenny and Squeeze.
If you are seeing a difference then use that to debug what is going
on.  If you are seeing a difference then that is a difference between
the two configurations and not between the versions.

> Can libapache2-mod-speedycgi and speedy-cgi-perl help to get speed ?

No.  Something is simply broken.  Find it and fix it.

Bob