Re: Installing multiboot system ... advice?

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 21:12:00 -0600, Dennis Wicks wrote:

> I would like to install a multiboot system but I don't have any free
> partitions that are anywhere near large enough.

Post the ouput of "fdisk -l" so we can have an idea of your current hard
disk layout. Remmeber that you can also resize the partitions to make
room for the new system.

> Is there any way that I can install into a directory on my existing
> boot/root volume? Say in /new-sys ??

I *think* no. You need -at least- a separate "/" partition that holds the
new system install (unless you do not want to keep data between reboots
and so running the system from a sort of ramdisk ;-) ).

> I have been looking at the doc that I have found on Grub but they only
> talk about installing into a separate hard drive partition.

GRUB can be indeed installed into the MBR or in the first sector of a
partition, that's right. But, what has GRUB to do with a problem of hard
disk space? :-?

> I already have Grub on the existing system (Lenny).

If you already have a GRUB bootloader installed there is no need to
install a second GRUB, you can simply ignore the bootloader install step
at install time and then instruct your Lenny's GRUB to boot the new
system.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón