Re: single device to replace ADSL router, WiFi/Ethernet router, SIP router?

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 6:15 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a way to replace my current home network infrastructure
> with a single device running Debian. I currently have these devices:
>
>      * Siemens SpeedStream 4200. This is an ADSL2+ modem running the
>        supplied OS. It is running in bridge mode, DSL port plugged into
>        the wall phone jack via the ADSL splitter and the Ethernet port
>        is plugged into the Netgear WGR614L router/switch.
>      * Netgear WGR614L. This is a router, Ethernet switch and WiFi AP,
>        currently running an old patched up custom build of OpenWRT. Its
>        WAN port connects to the SpeedStream and talks PPPoE to my ISP
>        via the SpeedStream. The four Ethernet ports are a switch,
>        plugged into a PC and the Minitar MVA11A.
>      * Minitar MVA11A. This is a SIP router with FXO/FXS ports and an
>        Ethernet port. FXO port plugs into the wall phone jack via the
>        ADSL splitter, FXS into the cordless phone, Ethernet into the
>        WGR614L.
>      * old Panasonic cordless phone

 paul,

 not being funny or anything, but i did a single-box setup.  got an
ADSL PCI modem card (which required non-free firmware) and got an
expensive but recommended digicom Asterisk dual-FXO/FXS PCI card which
required a special kernel compile that destabilised the whole system.

 yes it worked, but to be honest the number of cables wasn't
significantly reduced.  i still had to have a WIFI router, i still had
to have an 8-port ethernet switch, i still had to have 3 sets of
telephone wires.

 in other words, for an approximately 20% reduction in rats nest, i
got a f*** of a lot of hassle, had to set up firewalling which would
otherwise be dealt with by the router box, had to deal with IP MASQ
(which would otherwise be dealt with by the router box), had to learn
how to set up, configure and maintain asterisk.

 bottom line is: i won't be doing that ever again.

 a much better setup would be something like wot phil hands has: he
runs freeswitch, has had his telephone ported to an Internet Service,
then gets freeswitch to ring his mobile (N900), the home landline, the
desktop SIP phone _and_ the Nokia N900 (as a SIP client).

 of course, that means having a leased server, but at least then the
wires aren't in your living room.  if you can't afford a wholle leased
server, xenhosting.co.uk do really low-cost XEN VMs for something
ridiculously low like £15 per month, last time i checked.

 l.