Re: Which way to program this?

On 20/12/11 21:18, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> I am considering writing a "visual department scheduler" for schools.  The
> concept is similar to an appointment calendar, but I'd like to include drag 'n
> drop functionality.  A supervisor is provided with teaching session objects
> that meet in fixed time periods (call them 1-12).  The supervisor drags and
> drops them onto the individual teacher's schedule.  This application should be
> cross platform, able to run in windows, mac and linux.  So, it seems easy to
> me to conceptualize this in a web browser, but  what language/development
> envoronment would be appropriate for this project?

You 'could' use PHP (in a LAMP).... that'd be the second easiest way to
achieve the stated outcome.

> Any thoughts are welcome.
>
> Mark

But the easiest way is don't reinvent the wheel. :-)
What you describe is a subset of a number of mature and widely used CMSs
- principally Moodle, but also others like FreeSMS.

I'd suggest looking at Moodle first because it's so widely used, because
it has other capabilities that you/the school will probably/possibly
want - and because it's simple to run from something like a tiny Debian
LAMP in a VirtualBox. You could even put it the whole thing onto an USBKey.

Seriously - take a look a Moodle, if nothing else it'll give you some ideas.

Cheers