Re(2): automating execution of script.

*	From: Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
*	Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 11:47:39 -0700
You have that in a loop forever, right?

Yes.  The objective is a J interpreter server.

> How will you log in?

Oops.  That's what I meant about shooting my foot.
What if the loop is backrgounded?

while "1" do
 if (inotifywait -e modify ~/control.sh) = 0
   then { chmod u+x ~/control.sh; ~/control.sh; } > ~/controlresult
 fi
done &

> I think you are saved because of the syntax error.

I've changed while 1 to while "1".  According to the dash manual,
a non-empty string evaluates to True.

> Instead I think it would be better to create a daemon that runs as a
> standalone process not associated with your login shell.  Then after
> developing and debugging and testing it I would copy
> /etc/init.d/skeleton and modify it to start the daemon at boot time.

Accepted.  But the last time I did any serious C programming
was 1987.  If anyone gives link to an example, certainly it will
help.

Incidentally, the same issues must exist when someone develops
a Python script on a workstation and wants to interpret it on
another machine.  Each time the python is revised and sent to
the other system, execute permission must be reinstated?  Seems
a nuisance.

> The process will need to run as root.  That is unfortunate.

At least there could be an elapsed time limit on the
interpretation process.

A better solution would be to implement J in the ETHO or A2
single-user workstation and completely avoid jeopardizing a
Linux system.  But I'm afraid that would occupy all my spare
time for a year or three.  Meanwhile there are already too
many projects in progress.

Thanks for the help,           ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 639 0202.  Former telephone 1 360 450 2132.
bcc: peasthope ... shaw.ca