Re: Going to 64bit

On Saturday 21 Kislev 5772 17:45:49 debian-user-digest-
request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 Kislev 5772 16:04:23 David Baron wrote:
> > > I have a 64-bit Intel CPU but have been gleefully running my 32-bit Sid
> > > on it.
> > >

> > > Can one install the 64-bit kernel and upgrade other packages piecemeal
> > > or must one do it all in one go? In other words: Will
> > > all/most/some/none 32-bit programs work with it?
> > >

> > > (Has the new multiarch organization made this easier?)
> >

> > Repliers said emphatically NO, but ...
> > It apparantly CAN be done!
> >

> > ~$ uname -a
> > Linux dovidhalevi 3.2.0-rc4-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 5 03:26:57 UTC 2011
> > x86_64  GNU/Linux
> > I did install amd64-libs which also pulled lib64ncurses5 (sort of thought
> > it  would be needed, may not?)
>
> Strictly speaking you haven't actually done it yet.  You have
> installed a 64-bit kernel and some 64-bit libraries which are
> installed off to the side of the main system libraries.  That is a
> special case way to run (some) 64-bit applications.  It isn't a
> complete system and is not the equivalent of a system installed as a
> 64-bit system.  It is somewhat of a step along the road to true
> multiarch support.  Useful.  But special.
>
> The main issue is that eventually you will run into a program that
> needs a library that you won't have installed on your system.

Obviously. Only the kernel and its modules are 64b. I might try a few 64-byte
programs but everything else as well as other installed kernels are 32b.

When the 64b kernel is off experimental and after having used it a while, then
the choice needs be made, i.e. get rid of the 32 bit kernels and start
installing real 64b packages. BTW, how do I instruct apt-get, etc., to do so?