Re: Going to 64bit

David Baron wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 Kislev 5772 16:04:23 David Baron wrote:
> > I have a 64-bit Intel CPU but have been gleefully running my 32-bit Sid on
> > it.
> >
> > Can one install the 64-bit kernel and upgrade other packages piecemeal or
> > must one do it all in one go? In other words: Will all/most/some/none
> > 32-bit programs work with it?
> >
> > (Has the new multiarch organization made this easier?)
>
> Repliers said emphatically NO, but ...
> It apparantly CAN be done!
>
> ~$ uname -a
> Linux dovidhalevi 3.2.0-rc4-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 5 03:26:57 UTC 2011 x86_64
> GNU/Linux
> I did install amd64-libs which also pulled lib64ncurses5 (sort of thought it
> would be needed, may not?)

Strictly speaking you haven't actually done it yet.  You have
installed a 64-bit kernel and some 64-bit libraries which are
installed off to the side of the main system libraries.  That is a
special case way to run (some) 64-bit applications.  It isn't a
complete system and is not the equivalent of a system installed as a
64-bit system.  It is somewhat of a step along the road to true
multiarch support.  Useful.  But special.

The main issue is that eventually you will run into a program that
needs a library that you won't have installed on your system.

Bob