Creating a VM in VirtualBox

I am running Squeeze.

I have installed VirtualBox 4.1.6 from the VirtualBox website. I have also installed dkms.

When I start the program it shows no VMs, since I have not yet created any. I Click to create a new VM and the wizard prompts me through it. I plan to install XP-Pro since my wife wants to buy me something (I don't know what) as a gift that only runs on Windows. The VM seems to build fine, and creates a disk image. When I try to start the VM, however, instead of prompting me for where the installation media is, I get an error that says:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine XPPro.

Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {1968b7d3-e3bf-4ceb-99e0-cb7c913317bb}

What am I doing wrong? I'm not running this as root. I don't want to run as root. I created the VM as a user and the disk image was created in a subdirectory within my home directory. I am guessing that the issue is a problem with permissions to use the CDROM drive, but I don't know what to do about it. I am in groups cdrom, floppy, vboxusers and just about everything else, so I ought to have access. This happens whether I insert the CDROM before, or after trying to start the VM. It happens if the device is mounted, or not.

Does anyone have a clue what I am doing wrong?

Marc